Students Under 18
The English Language Centre Bristol welcomes students aged 16+ throughout the year.
ELC has a responsibility to provide a safe and healthy learning environment for all our students and staff but especially for students under 18 and vulnerable adults.
- The majority of our students are 18+ so students under 18 will need to feel comfortable in an adult environment. The average age of our students in 2019 was 23. There is no maximum age.
- Students under the age of 18 will study in classes with adults
- ELC does not provide 24 hour supervision
- Students will travel between their homestay and school unsupervised
- Students will be unsupervised outside lesson times including during the breaks and at lunch time
- Students will travel to and from the social programme meeting points unsupervised
- The school runs a full and varied social programme which is organised on a pay-as-you go basis. Students under 18 are allowed to attend all school activities
- On full-day weekend excursions to other destinations, students will normally have about 2 or 3 hours free time unsupervised for shopping
- Students under 18 are asked to wear an ELC wrist-band which makes them easily identifiable to staff
- Students have to be back home by 23.00h Sunday to Thursday and 24.00h Friday and Saturday
- Students under 18 are not allowed to visit the school residences in the evenings.
Before a student under 18 starts a course at ELC, both the parent/guardian and the student must sign and send us the Agreement for students under 18 to study at ELC to confirm that they understand the procedures and the rules we have in place for the welfare of under 18s and the level of supervision that we provide. They must understand that if a student under 18 breaks the rules we will inform the parents/guardian and in serious cases we have the right to ask the student to return home and, in such cases, the fees are not refunded. The parent/guardian must also complete our Under 18s Medical Information Form. If parents wish to authorise a guardian to act on their behalf when their son/daughter is in Bristol, then they must sign a guardian authorisation form giving their consent.
When a student under 18 travels to the UK, he/she should have a Parental Consent form to travel to the UK with him/her as the airport immigration officer may request to see this and want confirmation of who is meeting the student at the airport.
ELC recommends that students under 18 have airport taxi transfers arranged by the school on arrival and departure.
However, if parents give permission for their child to travel independently, then we do not insist on the taxi transfer, provided the school and the homestay provider are both given the student’s travel details in advance (flight times and flight numbers), confirmation of how the student will get from the airport to their accommodation and their expected arrival time in Bristol. You must also give both the school and the homestay the student's mobile number and once the student has arrived in the UK, the student must keep the phone switched on and charged.
We require students under 18 to stay in homestay accommodation, but during the summer period they also have the option of staying in our Young Adult Residence Unite House.
Alternative arrangements, where the student will have adult supervision, such as staying with a family friend, will be accepted provided ELC finds it suitable and provided we have written confirmation of the arrangements from the parents/guardian at the time of the enrolment. We would not expect students aged under 18 to stay unsupervised in a hotel or guest house. If a student under 18 wishes to stay out overnight or visit another city unsupervised by the school, we need the parents/guardian to sign a Parental Permission to stay out overnight or visit another city.
Forms for parents / guardians
- Guardian Authorisation form for students Under 18
- Parental Consent form to travel for students under 18
- Medical Information Form for Students under 18
- Parental Agreement for students under 18 to study at ELC
These forms must be completed and returned to the school before the course begins
Students under 18 should read this before coming to Bristol