IELTS Exam Preparation Course
Your Academic IELTS Exam Preparation Course In Bristol
Students should be at least at Upper-Intermediate (B2) level before joining the Academic IELTS classes at ELC Bristol. Please note that we do not offer preparation in the General Training Ielts exam.
If you wish to join the Academic IELTS exam preparation course at ELC Bristol, we can send you a specific IELTS pre-test to make sure you are at the right level.
The course is suitable specifically for students preparing for the IELTS exam. It is also for students going on to study in English in further education, either in the UK or in their own countries.
This is an intensive, demanding course. Students should understand that they should fully commit to the study required.
Many students come to ELC Bristol before going to study in colleges and universities in the UK. You generally need an IELTS score of 6.5 before going to University, or 5.5 if you wish to take a foundation course or vocational programme.
It is important that you have realistic expectations so look at the chart and calculate how long it will take to reach your goal. It generally takes around 12 weeks to complete each level and improve your IELTS score by one point.
Your teacher will give you preparation and practice in the basic writing skills required to complete academic assignments at university level (IELTS task 2). This includes vocabulary, planning and logical organisation of ideas. You will also learn the more specialised demands of describing more technical subjects, such as charts, graphs, processes or locations (IELTS task 1).
Practice in reading (e.g. skimming and scanning techniques to increase reading speed; inference of meaning) and listening skills necessary for the Academic IELTS exam is part of the Academic IELTS Exam Preparation course at ELC Bristol.
- Courses include 21 full hours of classroom time per week plus daily homework.
- Average class size: 11. Maximum: 14.
- You should be at least B2 before joining an IELTS class at ELC Bristol. Usual minimum period of enrolment: 4 weeks.
- The course includes Academic IELTS preparation/Academic English and useful elements of General English.
- For example, there will be speaking activities to develop both accuracy and fluency as well as preparation for the IELTS speaking test.
- As part of the course, there are regular timed exam practice and one-to-one tutorials.
- You can take the Academic IELTS exams in the local Bristol examination centre.
- Your ‘main’ teacher will co-ordinate your overall programme with a clear focus on student learning and progress. You will have up to three teachers each day.
Students should be at least at Upper-Intermediate (B2) level before joining the IELTS classes.
If you wish to join the IELTS course, we can send you a specific IELTS pre-test to make sure you are at the right level.
Your tests and assessments
Students usually take the Academic IELTS exam in Bristol but sometimes need to travel to another city if they book late.
The test is arranged by IH London and can be booked through them. To check on exam dates and availability, please click the button below.
To book the IELTS test
Test dates fill up quickly, so it’s best to book as soon as you can.
- Go to the IELTS website and choose where you'd like to take the exam. Obviously Bristol is the most convenient.
- Complete the application form.
* Please note that at the bottom of page 1 where it says, 'Send results to other institutions', you should put 'Yes', then choose 'United Kingdom' and then 'Other' where it says 'Name of Recognising Organisation'. Then where it says, 'If Other, please specify', put 'The English Language Centre, Bristol' followed by this information in the rest of the spaces: 'Mark Calland', '1 The Avenue', 'Clifton', 'Bristol BS8 3HG'. This is so that they also send us a copy of your results, which is very important for us.
- The test fee is £195. Please note, the test centre doesn't usually make refunds for test cancellations.
- IELTS for UKVI is usually available each month in Cardiff .
Our students’ Academic IELTS examination results:
|IELTS||Students taking exam||8.5||8.0||7.5||7.0||6.5||6.0||5.5||5.0||4.5||4.0||3.5||3.0|