A family-run English Language School in Bristol
Established in 1969, ELC Bristol is a family-run English Language School in Bristol, a lively university city in the South West of England. The school is part of the Clifton College Education Group and our staff and students benefit in many ways from being part of, and having the support of, a bigger organisation and having access to some of the College's wonderful facilities.
ELC Bristol is the UK’s joint number 1 English language school, according to the EL Gazette rankings based on British Council inspectors’ publishable statements.
Read the article which explains a little of what makes ELC Bristol the joint number 1 UK English language school.
We offer intensive General English courses and Examination Preparation courses for the Academic IELTS and Cambridge exams. We are a member of TEN (The English Network), IALC (International Association of Language Centres), English UK and Quality English and we are accredited by the British Council.
ELC Bristol was the first English language school in Bristol. The school is located in a fine building with private garden in a safe, quiet and leafy part of Clifton, one of Bristol's most attractive areas. We are near to Clifton College, the extensive Downs parkland, the famous Clifton Suspension Bridge and the University of Bristol.
The Main School building
Our main school building is located in a large purpose-built building in a tranquil part of Clifton, just 7 minutes' walk from St. John's House, our year-round self-catering student residence.
- 15 dedicated language classrooms
- A common room, with table football, piano, comfortable chairs and widescreen TV
- A multimedia centre with free Guided E-learning, reading books, grammar, vocabulary and practice test books and DVDs to borrow
- School café, selling snacks and hot and cold drinks daily
- Private garden with picnic tables
- Across the road from Clifton College's gym and swimming pool, which our students can use for free after paying a £10 membership fee.
- Many bars, cafés, restaurants and shops located just 8 minutes from the school on foot
During July and August, we open a summer centre just 5 minutes’ walk from our Main School building. Students joining our summer courses may either study here or at our Main School.
- 12 dedicated language classrooms
- Common room with pool table and table football
- Café serving meals and snacks
- Private garden for ELC students
- Free wi-fi access
- Many bars, cafés and shops located only a few minutes from the school
All of our teachers are qualified native speakers, but maybe what is equally important is that they care a lot about our students. They also have many years' experience teaching English (average: 18 years) and they have worked at ELC Bristol for a long time (average: 9 years). Read more.
Meet The Team
We understand that living and studying in another country is not always easy and we will do everything we can to make sure that you are comfortable and well looked after while you are in Bristol. We want you to be happy, healthy and safe. We also want you to have fun, learn lots of English and have the best time of your life! Nothing is too much trouble for our team. We are all here to help you enjoy your time in Bristol! Read more.
The English Language Centre Bristol (ELC Bristol) was founded in 1969. It was the first English language school in Bristol. Abon School was founded in 1973. John joined ELC Bristol as its youngest teacher in 1977. Read more.
The language school’s main school building, 1 The Avenue, is an easy walk from all our other buildings and also from the city centre.
- The Main School building
- Summer Centre
- Over 18 Summer University Residence & Young Adult Summer Residence
- Clifton Suspension Bridge
The Main School building
1 The Avenue, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 3HG
0117 970 7060
4-5 Worcester Road, Clifton College, Bristol, BS8 3JL
Over 18 Summer University Residence & Young Adult Summer Residence
31 Frogmore Street, BS1 5BY
The Clifton Suspension Bridge
Isambard Kingdom Brunel's masterpiece of industrial design spans a deep, urban river gorge.