ELC Bristol: #1 Ranked UK School
A family-run school, offering intensive General English and examination preparation courses in Bristol, a lively university city in the South West of England.
John & Margaret Duncan
STUDENTS UNDER 18
The English Language Centre Bristol welcomes students aged 16+ throughout the year. ELC has a responsibility to provide a safe and healthy learning environment for all our students and staff but especially for students under 18 and vulnerable adults. This document describes how we care for students aged under 18. Please note that:
- The majority of our students are 18+ so students under 18 will need to feel comfortable in an adult environment. The average age of our students in 2016 was 23. There is no maximum age.
- Students under the age of 18 will study in classes with adults
- ELC does not provide 24 hour supervision
- Students will travel between their homestay and school unsupervised
- Students will be unsupervised outside lesson times including during the breaks and at lunch time
- Students will travel to and from the social programme meeting points unsupervised
- The school runs a full and varied social programme which is organised on a pay-as-you go basis. The majority of the activities are suitable for all of our students, however there are occasional activities which are for over 18s only. See website - student corner/social programme for details.
- On full-day weekend excursions to other destinations, students will normally have about 2 or 3 hours free time unsupervised for shopping
- Students under 18 are asked to wear an ELC wrist-band which makes them easily identifiable to staff
- Students have to be back home by 23.00h Sunday to Thursday and 24.00h Friday and Saturday
- Students under 18 are not allowed to visit the school residences in the evenings.
Before a student under 18 starts a course at ELC, both the parent/guardian and the student must sign and send us the Parental Agreement for student under 18 to study at ELC to confirm that they understand the procedures and the rules we have in place for the welfare of under 18s and the level of supervision that we provide. They must understand that if a student under 18 breaks the rules we will inform the parents/guardian and in serious cases we have the right to ask the student to return home and in such cases, the fees are not refunded. The parent/guardian must also complete our Under 18s Medical Information Form.
When a student under 18 travels to the UK, he/she should have a Parental Consent form to travel to the UK with him/her as the airport immigration officer may request to see this and want confirmation of who is meeting the student at the airport.
Students under 18 must have an airport transfer on arrival and departure. Alternatively, we can arrange a meet and greet service at Heathrow or Gatwick airport. The meet and greet service will be arranged through Airport Angels.
We normally require students under 18 to stay in homestay accommodation. Alternative arrangements where the student will have adult supervision, such as staying with a family friend, will be accepted provided ELC finds it suitable and provided we have written confirmation of the arrangements from the parents/guardian at the time of the enrolment. We would not expect students aged under 18 to stay unsupervised in a hotel, guest house or student residence. If a student under 18 wishes to stay out overnight or visit another city unsupervised by the school, we will need the parents/guardian to sign a Parental Consent form to stay out overnight or visit another city.
Forms for parents / guardians
- Parental Agreement for student under 18 to study at ELC
- Under 18s Medical Information Form
- Parental Consent to travel to the UK for students under 18
- Parental Consent form to stay out overnight or visit another city
Full Safeguarding Policy
- Disciplinary policy for students
- First Aid policy
- ICT policy (incorporating e-safety)
- Prevent Policy
- Risk Assessment Policy and Procedures
- School rules